A brief look at organic produce baskets
Produce baskets are filled with fresh, locally grown, organic vegetables. A subscription is taken out with a local or regional market garden producer for a set period of time. Baskets are then delivered to a predetermined drop-off point according to the subscriber’s desired delivery frequency. The sign-up period for seasonal subscriptions usually begins in February or March. Find your local market garden producer here: Family Farmers Network.
- It encourages environmentally friendly, pesticide-free, sustainable agriculture.
- It prevents the need for overpackaging by grocers.
- It provides fresh, local food and the discovery of new vegetables throughout the season.
What can your company do?
- Are several of your employees interested in subscribing? You could become an organic basket drop-off point!
- Subscribe to a local veggie basket delivery program as a company and hold a draw every week to introduce employees to organic, locally grown produce.
- Organize a social activity such as a group visit to a farmer’s market.
- Use caterers who source their produce from local and organic farms.